Welcome to the Baycrest Buddies Program!
This is an incredible opportunity to develop a long-term relationship with a Baycrest resident or client in a fun and meaningful way.
These are unprecedented times for all of us, even more so for seniors who face an increased risk to their well-being. This program will allow you to connect virtually with seniors in our community, help mitigate their isolation, provide cognitive stimulation, and share an emotional connection.
Together with you, we will develop discussion topics, activities, themes and even fun fundraising challenges in order to add additional dimensions to the relationships. We encourage you to bring your own creativity and interests into the process, working as a group to make this a fun and meaningful experience.
This is a fantastic way to build meaningful connections both with your Baycrest Buddy and with fellow volunteers in the program, all while developing new skills and gaining community service hours. We look forward to taking the next steps with you!
- Submit Online Application
- Attend Virtual Orientation Session
- Submit Reference Form and other supporting documents
- Complete Online Training Modules
- Complete Interview
The comprehensive onboarding process is designed to ensure a suitable match can be made with a Baycrest resident or client and to give you the tools to make a meaningful connection. We ask that all program participants make a commitment to volunteer with Baycrest for 1 year, until June 2021.
Click here for more detail on the application process
- Introductory call with volunteer supervisor to facilitate matching process and welcome you to the program
- Introductory call with your Baycrest Buddy – to get to know them and begin the relationship
- Check in call with volunteer supervisor
- Weekly contact with your Baycrest Buddy – together, you may determine which mode of communication is preferred. You can utilize Baycrest’s eVisits system, or use other video calling technologies (your Buddy may benefit from some guidance from and practice with you!).
- Zoom meetups with your peer volunteer group (bi-weekly to start, then monthly) – an opportunity to touch base about how your experience is going and to strategize about new program ideas.
At this time, all communication and programs will be virtual. However, as restrictions change, we hope for you to have the ability to meet in person and get involved with on-site Baycrest activities.
To borrow a life philosophy from our friends at Camp Manitou: “Double-blessed is the generation in which the young listen to the old.”
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO APPLY
For questions or to speak further about the Baycrest Buddies experience, please contact Jessica Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org
or 416-785-2500 ext. 3769.